BOTOX IS A ONE DIMENSIONAL APPROACH
Although Botox has a household name and seems to be synonymous with anti-aging, it is a very small component of achieving youthful skin. Botulinum toxin can be found in various injectable forms including: Botox, Dysport, and Jeuveau. Injected botulinum toxin plays a large part in slowing down the aging process by relaxing muscles. Although regular injections with neurotoxins are vitally important for wrinkle prevention, it is only one small part of aging prevention.
Botox only treats one dimension of our face: the muscles. Our faces also have other organs that age with time such as skin, fat, and bone. To adequately prevent aging, a multidimensional approach is most effective. Addressing all components of the face are essential to a successful anti-aging regimen.
How can I prevent signs of aging?
Our genetics cannot change but skincare, lifestyle choices and preventative measures can be addressed. Small acts of prevention can add up over time to have the overall effect of slowing down the aging process.
Skincare Routine to support Botox results:
One of the first and most budget-friendly steps you can take is changing up your skincare regimen. Opt for professional-grade skincare products instead of off-the-shelf products from department stores or pharmacies:
- Retinol: Nouvelle Retinol 0.6% Correction Cream by Neocutis helps diminish fine lines and wrinkles by increasing cell turnover as well as the production of collagen.
- Sunscreen: The Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Face Shield protects against UVA & UVB, blue (HEV) light, pollution, and infrared radiation (IR).
- Antioxidants: Biopelle Antioxidant Defense Serum delivers dramatic results to help repair damaged skin. It also is a strong protectant against environmental stressors, such as pollution and free radicals. The serum features powerful growth factors and anti-aging benefits and is fortified with Vitamin C, Ferulic acid and Edafence (which is an exclusive plant-based ingredient from Antarctica that delivers powerful antioxidant defense).
- Stem Cells/Growth Factors: As we age, the cells in our skin break down and skin stem cells are less able to replace them. Biopelle’s Tensage Stem Cell Cream features Cellpro Technology, a unique, natural ingredient extracted from snail eggs to help improve skin’s appearance during the aging process.
Living a Healthy Lifestyle:
- Stop smoking: Tobacco smoke contains toxins that can lead to premature aging including dull and dry complexion, loss of skin’s firmness, premature lines and wrinkles, and leathery skin.
- Protect Your Skin from the Sun: Seek shade and cover up (hats, long sleeves, long skirts and pants).
- Eat healthy foods & stay hydrated: A healthy diet promotes healthy skin. Make sure you stay hydrated and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Avoid spikes in blood sugar from sugary foods like sweets and pastries, because this can also cause wrinkles over time.
- Get enough sleep: It’s called beauty rest for a reason. Skin repair occurs predominantly at night time. Sleep gives your body time to refresh and renew itself.
In Clinic Treatments to complement Botox:
The following treatments are considered crucial anti-aging maintenance. Without a couple of these treatments per year, your skin’s quality and collagen production will continue to decline.
- Microneedling & Vivace (Microneedling with Radiofrequency) stimulates collagen and elastin. Building these skin proteins diminishes fine lines and wrinkles that have become too deep for Botox to correct on it’s own. These treatments are recommended every 6 months for maintenance.
- Chemical Peels help with resurfacing the skin reducing fine lines and wrinkles. We recommend 2-3 peels per year.
- Neurotoxin Injections (Botox) every three months to relax facial muscles is still essential to preventing those creases from facial expressions.
What does SLK Clinic offer to fight signs of aging?
In the battle against signs of aging, SLK clinic offers many measures to help prevent and treat signs of aging. Radiofrequency, Botox, microneedling, chemical peels and medical grade skincare products all help with fine lines, skin tone, and texture. Used in combination with scheduled Botox injections, a patient will find wrinkles diminish and an overall slowing of the aging process.